Great coding software to help in daily development process can be irreplaceable tool.
Bad software can lower your work efficient stage so badly but good software however can give you a lot of tips, ways to help code faster, find your typing mistakes without a pain.
I crawled around the internet carefully to find 6 free awesome coding editors that will work on Linux, Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Ruby on Rails, Python and PHP – Add powerful plugins and ready-to-use runtimes for Ruby on Rails, Python and PHP
- Desktop Ajax – create desktop web applications with our plugin for Adobe AIR.
- Free, Open Source and Cross Platform – works on Windows, Mac, or Linux, it’s free and it’s open source
jEdit is a mature programmer’s text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it.
- Written in Java so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Dozens of macros and plugins available.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 130 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encoding’s including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
Screem is a web development environment. It’s purpose is to increase productivity when constructing a site, by providing quick access to commonly used features.
- Broken Link Checking
- Document Structure Display
- DTD/Doctype Parsing
- Inline Tagging
- Link Fixing
- Page Previewing
- Page Templates
- Spell Checking
- Syntax Highlighting
Programmer’s Notepad is an open-source text editor targeted at users who work with source code.
- Syntax Highlighting for lots of languages, configured with schemes
- Multi-language user interface
- Unlimited number of schemes supported, powerful syntax highlighting supporting both user-defined & built-in schemes
- Text Clips provide smart templates for text insertion
- Code Folding/Outlining
- Docking windows for: File Browser, Open Files, Text Clips, Tool Output, Find in Files results
- Regular expression search and replace (full perl syntax)
- Excellent external tool support with user-configurable output matching – click on errors and warnings to jump right to the place in the file where they were generated
- Split Views
- Bookmarks (both numbered and plain)
- Export to HTML (using CSS) and RTF
- Code definition browsing and navigation (using Ctags)
- Non fixed-width font support
- Projects and Project Groups with multi-level folders and file system mirroring
- Scripting with Python
- Extensions support for developing add-ons with C++
- Support for UTF8, 16 and various file encodings
- Support for windows, unix and macintosh line endings
- Tabbed MDI interface, with multi-level split views
PSPad editor is a freeware text editor and source editor intended for use by programmers.
- work with plain text – the editor has a wealth of formatting functions, including a spell checker
- create web pages – as a web authoring editor, PSPad contains many unique tools that save your time
- want to use a good IDE for their compiler – PSPad catches and parses compiler output, integrates external help files, compares versions and much more…